Welcome to Denbigh Aviation Academy
Understanding that careers begin in middle and high school, we want you to know that our graduates soar over the other applicants because they possess the knowledge, skills, and confidence to become anything they want to be in life.
That’s why our motto is simple:
Attitude = Altitude
We invite you to look over our information or give us a call, and we’ll develop the right flightpath that will make your career impeccable!
So sit back, relax and place your tray in the upright position because you are preparing for take-off.
About Aviation Academy
Denbigh High School's Aviation Academy, a nationally recognized STEM site, that specializes in piloting, aircraft maintenance, engineering, and aviation security/safety. Our missions is to provide provide a quality education that maximizes the potential of every student by providing them with the knowledge, skillsets, experiences and values needed in the 21st Century workplace.
- Courses offered on a "newly renovated Aviation wing" at Denbigh High School.
- Small community of learning with a collegiate atmosphere where expectations are high.
- Aviation classes begin in the 9th grade where students can choose one of four pathways (en español):
- Aviation Technology, Flight Operations, Aerospace Engineering and Aviation Security & Safety
- An FAA Pilot Ground School course that will prepare students for flying lessons and private pilot licensure.
- State of the art technology that includes a Flight Simulator Lab, 3D Printer Lab, Virtual Reality (VR) Lab, Engineering Lab, Aviation Maintenance (AMT) Lab and Crime Scene Investigation (CSI) Lab.
- A fully functioning wind tunnel capable of showing students the dynamics of flight with visual and data representation.
- Recognized as a national model school from the Society of Manufactured Engineers Education Foundation (SMEEF).
- Students have access to drones, a lab and a 3D printing/scanning lab.
- Students are expected to take at least one AP Course and at least two honors classes annually.
Download the Aviation Academy Brochure (en español) to learn more about our program and how to apply.
How to Apply
Newport News Residents
Rising ninth graders apply in the Fall via StudentVue. An announcement will be made by your school when the magnet window is open. If you are unable to access the online application, please contact the NNPS Magnet office for assistance at (757) 283-7850 x.10314.
Current high school students must apply through Dr. Smith. Questions can be asked by calling (757) 886-7700 x.24694. Seniors are not accepted into the magnet.
- Contact your guidance counselor to receive an application. After the application has been submitted, Poquoson City Schools then selects those who have been accepted into the program.
Transportation is provided to both Newport News Public School and Poquoson City School students.